Written by West Penn Power
West Penn Power, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp., continues to conduct tree-trimming work in communities across its 24-county Pennsylvania service area, including Upper St. Clair, as part of its ongoing efforts to help enhance service reliability.
Maintaining proper clearances around electrical equipment can reduce the frequency and duration of tree-related power outages, especially those associated with severe weather such as summer thunderstorms.
Since the beginning of the year, tree contractors have trimmed about 2,000 circuit miles of electric lines in the West Penn Power service area as part of the $46 million vegetation management program for 2020. West Penn Power’s program remains on track to complete an additional 2,600 miles of work by year end.
“Our tree trimming is making a difference in keeping the lights on for our customers and more quickly restoring service, particularly after severe weather,” said John Rea, regional president of West Penn Power. “We are making tremendous progress in our proactive removal of tens of thousands of deteriorated ash trees along our electric distribution lines harmed or killed by the Emerald Ash Borer.”
West Penn Power’s tree program in 2020 includes about $4 million to remove about 26,000 dead and dying ash trees along distribution lines in western Pennsylvania. Crews have removed about 9,600 ash trees so far this year.
The tree-trimming program includes inspecting vegetation near the lines to ensure trees are pruned in a manner that helps preserve the health of the tree, while also maintaining safety near electric facilities. Trees that present a danger or are diseased also may be removed.
As part of its notification process, West Penn Power works with municipalities to inform them of tree trimming schedules. In addition, customers living in areas along company rights-of-way also are notified prior to vegetation management work being done.
If you see a tree in danger of falling on a power line in your Upper St. Clair neighborhood, please call the Public Works Department at 412-831-9100 ext. 2710.
The vegetation management work is conducted by qualified line clearance arborists under the company’s direction, including Asplundh Tree Expert Company, Jaflo Inc., Lewis Tree Service Inc., Penn Line Service Inc., Davey Tree Expert Company and Townsend Tree.
- Township Of Upper St Clair
- South West Communities Chamber of Commerce Offers Scholarship Opportunity
- Commissioners Approve Upper St. Clair Board and Commission Reappointments
- Jordan Tax Service Sewage Bill Delivery Behind
- Township of Upper St. Clair Passes Budget With No Tax Increase for 12th Consecutive Year
- McMillan Road Closures Begin
- West Penn Power Plans Outage for Halloween Morning
- Firefighters Honored at Upper St. Clair Meeting
- Commissioner Pamela Enck Honored with Certificate of Achievement
- Upper St. Clair Recognizes World Odyssey of the Mind Champions
- Tickets on Sale for New Miracle League of the South Hills Fundraiser
West Penn Power Conducting 2020 Tree-Trimming Program
Written by West Penn Power